Thursday 3 October 2013

Why you should visit Thame Museum (and not just because of the books on Midsomer Murders...)

During the long summer between finishing my BA and beginning my MA it was suggested that we attain some work experience in the heritage industry in order to allow us to develop our knowledge and skills as public historians. I, being very adventurous and daring, opted for my local museum, Thame museum.
'Thame museum: tame by name not by nature.'
I have to admit that before seeking work experience I had never visited Thame museum and so was apprehensive about going in and asking for a volunteering position in a place I had little previous knowledge about. I was pleasantly surprised at how eager the stewards were for me to volunteer and quickly found myself with my first shift in August. One important note I must say before I go any further; everyone involved in running and maintaining Thame museum is an unpaid volunteer, meaning the survival of the museum depends on those passionate about Thame and displaying its colourful history doing their bit as well as donations from the public. Without the volunteers' dedication, the museum would not be able to open and hundreds of years of Thame's history would be forgotten. Also, they are all extremely friendly, lovely and happy to talk to you about anything! Ok, praising over. 

The building itself was the former Magistrates Court and still has the witness box in the main exhibition room and the prisoner's holding cell as a store room! When you first enter the building, you find yourself greeted by a policeman (who I believe is modelled on a member of the museum's relative, Sgt Tom Mott) who may startle some of you (my reaction was to approach it cautiously to ensure it didn't move.)
'Good to know the museum has reliable security!'
Once in the museum, my favourite collection is held in the Tudor room which contains wall paintings from the Elizabethan period in fantastic condition which were discovered in Thame. Although you can see the paintings now, a grand opening will be held in the near future to announce its presence so look out for that! If Tudors aren't your things you may prefer the main exhibition room which has a broad range of historical items from neolithic to modern history including a vast collection of over 40 oral history accounts from residents of Thame remembering their lives (these are available for listening online.)  Thame's main historical draw comes from John Hampden's role during the English Civil War about which the museum provides much information including what a soldier wore during the English Civil War! There are so many other interesting bits of history to be found at the museum- I assumed I would only take 5 minutes to go around this small museum but ended up there for more than half an hour after being captivated by fascinating snippets of local history. 




 Learn from my mistake; don't assume that local history is dull and irrelevant to your life- without local museums like Thame, we cannot distinguish our regions historic differences and similarities with the national experience and thus our regional identities are incomplete and lack meaning and substance. So many of us define ourselves through our regional differences which have been forged through time, it's time to explore and understand your family and regional history. Local history needs supporting so take some time to explore and support local museums before it's too late! I intend to visit again in December to experience the 'Two Hankies and a Ribbon' exhibition on underwear throughout the ages and will certainly report back! 

Plan your visit now! http://www.thamemuseum.org/index.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment